Essential oils are plant-based, and some contain phytoestrogens. These are plant-based substances that behave in a similar way to the hormone estrogen. Some experts believe that essential oils containing phytoestrogens may help balance hormones and relieve symptoms such as mood changes and hot flashes during menopause.
According to research the following oils may support hormonal balance:
- Clary sage acts as an antidepressant and lowers blood pressure in some people.
- Fennel reduces depression and anxiety
- Juniper (J. phoenicea and J. oxycedrus) may relieve pain through anti inflamatory
- Angelica reduces anxiety
- Geranium relieves depression
- Rose oil brings relaxation and pain relief
- Neroli reduces anxiety and improves sleep
- Lavender reduces stress, depression and anxiety and helps improve sleep
- Jasmine relieves depression and uplifts mood
When using oils, people should:
- Always mix essential oils with a carrier oil before use, especially for application to the skin.
- Apply a little to the skin first to check for an allergic reaction.
- Keep oils away from children.
- Obtain oils from a reputable source.
- Never swallow or consume an oil, as it is likely to be toxic.
Anyone who wishes to use essential oils for menopause should speak to their doctor first. People should always dilute oils with a carrier oil before applying to the skin.